Sunday, February 19, 2012

Semester Goals...


In hopes of the immaculate coming together (the graduating seniors always talk about), this semester I plan on investigating images of mother and child and explaining the conceptual relationship between photography and memory. I will focus my first research paper on mother and child imagery, the taboos, attitudes about childhood, how other cultures deal with it, how it is depicted and discussed in art-historical and contemporary artists’ work. I will look further into the work and statements of Janine Antoni, Elinor Carucci, Mary Kelly, Sally Mann, Jenny Saville, Kathe Kollwitz, and Kiki Smith. Once I have a better understanding of that, I would like to look more deeply into the photographs connection to memory in my second research paper. I will research the writings of Susan Sontag (On Photography, Essay on Beauty), Jeffrey Batchen (Forget Me Not), Roland Barthes (Camera Lucida), and Lisa Saltzman (Making Memory Matter). All the while, I will continue to look into the histories of the paper cut out, encaustic medium, and oil paint. I will also think about the implications of feminism, narcissism, the archive, and the audience.  By June I hope to have fifteen to twenty objects that layer, break, and interrupt the photographs, text, silhouettes, outlines, and traces of figures. I hope the series will encompass a specific complexity of parenthood and surprise the viewer through the visceral erasure and collection of materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment